Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Knitter's Suicide
I have a habit of ripping out rows and rows of stitches and then using my needle to pick up my stitches and start knitting again. H yells at me all the time when I do this - I think it makes her very anxious and she almost watches with bated breath. "You're brave," she declared once as I unravelled and picked up a row on a hat I was knitting.

On the weekend I made a mistake with my afghan and I stared at the rows with a bit of fear. I'll rip out 30 stitches, even 60 stitches and pick them up fearlessly but my afghan was 102 stitches per row AND on round needles.

I took a deep breath and ripped it. Tay came downstairs and saw me hunched over the dining room table, carefully looping stitches onto a smaller, straight needle. He wanted to know what I was doing knitting at the table (I usually knit in the chair by the window or perched on one of the tall chairs at the kitchen counter).

"I'm committing knitter's suicide," I said, my voice shaking slightly as I picked up another stitch.

But it was fine. I got all 102 stitches onto my straight needle and then transferred them back onto the round and started knitting again. That was about 20 rows or so ago.

After that, unravelling doesn't faze me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rob, Tina and the boys said...

I'm the first to post! Yeah for me! I finally have a place to vent about my crocheting! Same but different worlds!

6:26 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I rip also. It's better to rip it out & do it right than to finish the project and always see that error. Forever. And ever.

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home