Monday, March 21, 2005

On Knitting
In the first chapter of the book I bought on knitting (Stitch N' Bitch), the author talked about her family history of knitting. Her grandmother, mother and aunts all knit and so it only seemed natural that she would follow in their footsteps. I read the chapter a little wistfully and wished for my own colorful history. As far as I knew, my grandmother never knit, nor does my mother or my aunts. So, feeling slightly alone, I set out on my adventure to teach myself to knit.

Last weekend, during a vist from my father, I proudly pulled out the swatch I was working on to show him the new skill I had taught myself. He admired my handiwork and then told me about the knitters on HIS side on the family. It would seem that my paternal grandmother used to be able to knit and read at the same time and the mittens that my father and his siblings wore were always knitted by my grandmother. She used to knit five rows and then stop and count her stitches (I count my stitches after every row because I'm not very good at fixing dropped stitches. I've also developed a habit of counting my stitches as I knit them). My dad told me about the very last thing his mother knit for him, a red pullover vest that he absolutely loved. My grandmother taught my aunt how to knit as well, my father remembers his sister once knitting a sweater with broomsticks. Even my father learned a little bit about knitting. It was at my dining room table that he taught me how to cast on using just one needle and how to remove stitches one at a time if I made a mistake.

It appears that I come from a family of knitters after all.

Last Tuesday I started working on another square swatch and when it turned out perfect, I couldn't just cast it aside so I kept knitting but referred to my book on how to add on an alternate color. That task proved to be easy, so some time later, I had a pink square attached to the original white square. I kept going, adding alternating squares in pink and white. Tonight I finished the 9th square and am well on my way to knitting a scarf. (It's not as wide as a traditional scarf, but it's not meant to be. My idea is to make a very long, skinny scarf that is more suited to be worn in the fall months with a denim jacket. So far it's 3 feet long, but by the time I finish, it'll be 6 feet :).

Image Hosted by The Image Hosting

I'm beginning to think that I might have a knack for knitting after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home